In the event of an emergency e.g. bereavement or accident and you are not able to continue the placement, we recommend the following;

  1. Contact Parents / Next of Kin
  2. If not available contact Keyworker, Social Worker, Team Leader or the relevant Respite Manager, Area Manager
  3. If not available, contact any of the contacts listed on the information provided on the Home Sharing Agreement/Contact List
  4. In case of adults who are living in group home, contact a staff member there
  5. In case of incident / accident, fill out an incident form and return it to the service provider